I have been awarded a four-year Swiss National Science Foundation grant to investigate the role of the apophatic tradition in Late Medieval England. The project will begin on 1 March 2022, till February 2026. For more information, please click here.
I am pleased to announce I have signed a contract with Oxford University Press for the publication of my monograph, Name Above Names: The Devotion to the Name of Jesus in Late Medieval English Literature, c. 1150-c. 1530, with publication in 2022.
Christiania Whitehead, Hazel Blair and myself are making very good progress with the editing of a volume linked to the SNFR project, ‘Region and Nation in Late Medieval Devotion to Northern English Saints’ (2016-2020): Northern Lights: New Directions in Late Medieval Insular Sanctity is under contract with Brepols, and should come out in 2022.
Several publications are forthcoming:
– ‘Aelred of Rievaulx and the Saints of Durham and Hexham’, Northern Lights: Late Medieval Devotion to Saints from the North of England, ed. Christiania Whitehead, Hazel Blair and Denis Renevey (Turnhout: Brepols, forthcoming).
– ‘Women and Devotional Compilations’, Women and Medieval Literary Culture, ed. Corinne Saunders and Diane Watt (Cambridge: CUP).
– ‘Religious and Didactic Lyrics’, The Oxford History of Poetry in English, vol. 2, ed. Helen Cooper and Robert E. Edwards (Oxford: OUP).
– ‘Song of Songs Lyricism in Late Medieval England’, The Song of Songs in European Poetry (13th-17th Centuries): Translations, Appropriations, Rewritings, ed. Camilla Caporicci, The Medieval Translator (Turnout: Brepols).
– ‘Breath, Silence and Love in ‘The Wohunge of ure Lauerd’, Medieval Women’s Words: Giving Voice to Silence, ed. Cate Gunn and Liz Herbert McAvoy (Cambridge: D.S. Brewer).
I have been invited to join the advisory board of the project ReVISION: Re-assessing St.Birgitta of Sweden and her Revelations in Medieval England: Circulation and Influence, 1380-1530, led by Laura Saetveit Miles, at the University of Bergen (Norway).